Tweets by @morningblend56 According to Mary: He Has To Try

Wednesday, July 30, 2008

He Has To Try


He has to try.

This is the way it stands. The doctors have given their OK as long as Cal realizes that he will probably experience pain. As long as he can't re-injure anything and his bones will continue to heal on the bike ride, what's a little pain? Right? So...the final decision is up to him. As it stands, we will leave August 13 for Wyoming and start the trip August 15 - exactly 6 weeks from the day of his accident. And as he said in one of his blogs, he may have to reply on experience and a good attitude since all of his re-training will be done on the road.

Realizing that Cal can pull the plug at anytime, I am getting back into preparation mode, but there are very few things I will do differently. What took 6 months of thinking last time will only take a day or two. Now that's what I call a Learning Curve!

Here are a few more rules of the road that I picked up along the way.

Bagels work better than bread and cream cheese better than butter.
You don't need a spray shower.
Use as few dishes as necessary. Like NONE.
One coffee cup is all a person needs. (See blog entitled "PART ll").
Block ice is much better than cubed.
Nobody really cares what you look like.
It's important to hum Great is Thy Faithfulness while hitching up the camper.

...And there are a few other things that I learned that you'd rather not know about.

This time we will have some new things to learn about. Humidity. Mud. Rain. Pain. And People. (We will be in more populated areas out east.)
...And this time we will be developing our own route from biking maps...not following a preplanned trail which is an adventure in itself. I love maps.

One of the last things that Cal remembers seeing before he fell in Wyoming was a Smokey the Bear Cutout that held a sign that said that FIRE DANGER WAS...HIGH...TODAY. Cal and I both saw the sign and both thought, "How can it be 'high'? Wyoming has had more rain than usual this year!"

That will be our starting point to begin the adventure once again. See you there!

14 days and counting.


Love,
Mary

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mary and Cal: I hadn't checked up on your blog since you left Oregon until last night, so I was surprised and shocked to hear about the accident and aftermath. I'm glad to hear about Cal's recovery. May the Lord give you wisdom and strength for whatever lies ahead.

On a lighter note, my first thought about the unexplained accident on the roads of Wyoming was: Jackalope (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jackalope). I haven't seen one myself, but I have seen pictures and read stories. They apparently show up at the most unexpected times. Yessir, I'm sure of it: Jackalope. If you read the investigating sheriff's report you will probably find that was his immediate conclusion as well.

Take care. I will be praying for you both. --- Merlyn Hough

Mary Meuzelaar said...

Hi Merlyn-
Absolutely. That's exactly what I thought. Great minds think alike. Glad you caught up with us!
--Mary