Tweets by @morningblend56 According to Mary: Summoning God

Monday, March 23, 2009

Summoning God

Greetings!

Spring has come. Birds are singing outside our bedroom window in ways that make it very hard to get up. I just want to snuggle back down and listen. They make rotten alarm clocks.

I think about things...usually at 3:00 in the morning... fun things that I bat back and forth in my head until I arrive at the comforting conclusion that I don't have to understand everything about God and the universe and go gracefully back into that good night.

What! You don't have these early morning conversations with yourself! I forget that I am a 5 on the Enneagram scale. If you don't like nocturnal musings of a paradoxical nature you may want to leave this posting now...don't say I didn't warn you.

Here it is.

On the wall in the chapel where I receive spiritual direction is a sign. "Bidden, or not bidden, God is present." Jung popularized the saying, but it was discovered among the Latin writings of Erasmus. "Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit."

I find great solace in that sign for many reasons. It reminds me that God is sovereign, "above all praise", whose omniscience and omnipotence reach to the farthest imaginable recesses of this world. Those are good Calvinist words.

In response, all I can do is "come as I am," for it is I who need to be summoned. I need the grace to prepare and open my heart for the God who is already present because of the work of Jesus' death and resurrection. I am the one who needs to come close to celebrate his presence and to receive all he has for me, and ask for the grace to bring down barriers that block his presence from my life.

And yet, so often in church I sense we are waiting for God to "show up." How can that be? When we call on God, what happens? When we wait on God, what is it we do? I can feel so forlorn in those situations when we are singing, clapping, waiting for some movement from God. I look around me. Everyone seems to be trying so hard to bring God. Ernest, sincere people, hungry for God. Every week is the same. Desperate for God to come. And every week, I wonder who is summoning whom. (or is it "who.")

What if He is already there waiting for us...even before we begin to sing? What if all we needed to do is open our hearts to the loving Presence that is already waiting for us? Ready to bless, instruct, convict, heal...

Whom exactly are we calling to worship?

“Lord I am not worthy to receive you, but only say the word and I shall be healed.”

Obviously, I need to think about this some more - realizing that it might just be semantics that I have become sensitized to or perhaps one of those paradoxes that I will have to accept - probably at 3:00 some morning.

Love you,

Mary

2 comments:

Melissa said...

Nah - I don't have those kind of conversations at night although they do thread through most of my days....my nights are littered with vivid dreams that make me feel unrested. Last night I was in hiding...Tim wonders if I am working out some subconscious issue.

"Ernest, sincere people, hungry for God. Every week is the same. Desperate for God to come. And every week, I wonder who is summoning whom"

I think something about today's style of worship often reinforces this almost addictive style of worship.

I think He is always waiting for us...

but then I carry a run-on conversation with Him during the day and as a result have often found 'formal' prayer difficult...

Anonymous said...

Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit.

I had two years of Latin in high school and never have much chance to practice it anymore.

This is a wonderful phrase to memorize. I think I will.
Then if I am overheard mumbling it, well, whatever.

Lana