Tweets by @morningblend56 According to Mary: RSL

Monday, February 2, 2009

RSL

Good Morning, Everyone! I like to pretend no one is out there when I write, but since I know Cher and Gretchen are keeping tabs, I greet you all.

And I do mean GOOD Morning! I wish you all the goodness this morning can hold.

Last week I started taking meds for restless leg syndrome which I knew I had, but had no idea of how much it was effecting my sleep. I knew I was a restless sleeper (and reader. Cal teases me about how I flop from one side to the other every time I turn a page... KerTHUMP) but I didn't realize that I wasn't sleeping like I should. I often marked the hours in bed and sometimes I would try to guess how long ago it was that I had last looked at a clock. If it was more than two hours, I would figure that I must have slept or "passed the time in a semi-unconscious state" - my definition of sleep. I count it a good night if I remembered only waking two or three times.

About 8:00 at night, my legs would start moving. I would swing them, kick them, jump from chair to couch, wiggle my feet, stretch my legs and rub them. Antsy. People who have this syndrome try to describe the sensation in all kinds of ways - tugging, tightening, crawling... the legs want to move to alleviate the sensation.

I remember the all night plane ride to Europe was hell. Since I couldn't move in those tiny seats, I became claustrophobic and I had to breathe deep and talk myself out of panic. Movie theaters are another place that occasionally become torture. I remember "Titanic" was especially unbearable. I never did like that movie - probably because they could move (even through they were drowning) and I couldn't. Other places, too...sometimes at the computer, in church, in the car....Cal can tell. He turns to me with a knowing look. "Restless Legs?"

It's so nice to finally be able to sit and lay quietly in one place without needing to dance around.
And to SLEEP.

I will never be a morning person, but when I am awake now, I really am awake. There's lots to be said for that.

Not only can I say "Good Morning" and mean it, I can also say "Good Night."

Love,
Mary

3 comments:

UP said...

They tell me I have also RLS. Only with all my other medical problems and the loss of sensation it doesn't bother me. Maybe one solution would be for you to get Spinal Cerebellar Degeneration. Just kidding, I hope the medicine helps.

Unknown said...

I love that you are blogging again! There is nothing quite like it. Thank you.

Unknown said...

That was my nice comment. The other voice in my head said to tell you: "Look at you go. Racking up the readers. Pressure, pressure, pressure."
But that wouldn't be nice at all. =D