Tweets by @morningblend56 According to Mary: Canada ll

Sunday, September 7, 2008

Canada ll




That, I, who handled Italy with such aplomb, should feel shy in Canada is too funny. We are too alike to be so different. I keep nervously checking my p’s and kilometers. For those of you certain I’d be into Tim Horton’s before we crossed the border into Canada, I must disappoint you. I was always in the wrong lane or Cal was waiting for me or something. But just as we were about to cross over the Peace Bridge, I made my mad dash for a Tim Horton mocha. Whew! Made it by the skin of my teeth.

Canada is pretty like Michigan is pretty -borders of trees surrounding the edges of crop fields like watchful sentinels waiting to take back the land when the farmer's head is turned- but there have been challenges here. Winds of Gustav blew over us and beat on Lake Erie. I have seen Lake Michigan blue, green, and gray, but never brown and whipped into froth like Lake Erie. It was a strange feeling day… And then came the night and the rain. I was very thankful for our off-the-ground camper unlike the college boys in the next campsite who were celebrating their last free weekend in tents. And wet.

The Christian Reformed Church of Wallaceburg rescued us the first night in Canada. We were misinformed about where there was camping, and had no place to rest our weary wheels. We finally cashed in Cal’s years as a CRC pastor’s kid and the church took pity on us and let us park in her parking lot for the night. (Churches are girls.) We are grateful.

I am quite upset about the infestation of Gypsy Moths on all kinds of trees in Canada. I inspected one of the webby things that Gustav had blown out of a tree. It was crawling with tiny hungry caterpillars. No wonder they destroy trees. It was a wide spread infestation – everywhere I looked. I hope they can get it under control. And before it is too late.

Last night was our last night in Canada. I can’t help but remember our dear Canadian friend, Ron, who has lived in Iowa and put up with us in the States since college. O Canada…

Cal biked across the Peace Bridge into the States today. As we crossed the bridge, it started pouring again and so we are turning the rest of this day in Buffalo into a rest day.
Much love,
Mary

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We are still here and paying attention- maybe the theme for part 3 should be finishing strong. You can do this-I am so proud of the two of you. I love the way God provides for you every day!!