Tweets by @morningblend56 According to Mary: Trains

Sunday, August 17, 2008

Trains

Casper - What can I say. Too big to have a sense of humor about itself. Too small to be Really Something. They have a mall where I waited for an hour and 1/2 to get a haircut and had pleasant conversations with the locals. I am amazed what you hear in a wait-your-turn hair salon! People were nice but in a hurry. Even the traffic seemed frantic. We camped in a downtown United Methodist church parking lot. I expected it to be noisy, but I began to wonder if ANYONE in Casper had mufflers on their pickups. It was Saturday night and the local cowboys were out cruising. Impressive.

Today the weather was beautiful and the sky as blue as I remembered it from before- with puffy little clouds that look like smoke signals. Cal put in 111 miles and is fine. I keep a close eye on him while he is getting back into shape and I have been doing more waiting at meeting spots to check on his progress. But I always find something fun to do. I am reading "Undaunted Courage." A biography about Merriweather Lewis.

The new theme for this trip is Trains. They are everywhere here! I had no idea trains were used anymore! Since the tracks in Pella were taken out, I'd forgotten forgot all about them. I thinkI might like to take a train trip sometime. I can hear the whistles in the background even as I write this.

Tonight we are camping in a campground in Lusk, Wyoming - 22 miles from the border of Nebraska.

Oh, and a little note to Me...Just thought you should know that Cal has been offered senior citizens discounts twice since we start the bike tour.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am sure his older brother will enjoy hearing about the senior discounts too. I like the train pictures. I rode the train from Hastings, Ne to Omaha once for my stint with SWIM team. It was fun. Love Norma

Anonymous said...

I knew it. Mary tell Cal hi from his "younger" brother. I knew he was the elder in looks. david