Tweets by @morningblend56 According to Mary: Gold Dust

Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Gold Dust

Cal and I took another rest day and spent it wandering around Yellowstone National Park a little. We were there with our children when they were 13 and 10 and nothing has changed except the areas that were charred from the 1988 forest fires have little 15 foot trees growing. Yellowstone is a strange and interesting place, but it doesn't touch my heart like the forests of northern Idaho do. We are covered with yellow pollen from the pines trees. It blows so thick it looks like a gold dust storm. We are camping in yet another Forest Service Park. They are primitive but inexpensive and usually very pretty. This park is known for grizzly bears and I was disappointed that one did not visit us last night. I thought I heard some snuffling and growling but it was just Cal snoring.

One of the fun things about taking the "roads less traveled" is the tiny towns that support the areas. I have loved camping in the city parks and going to the general groceries stores. I am beginning to understand the importance of the small town in rural development.

Cal said that he is ready for the drama of the mountains to be done and looking forward to the routine of the plains. I have mixed feelings. Mountains are always special to me- but then I wasn't climbing them on a bike. Cal has two more big climbs before the plains of Wyoming, Nebraska and Iowa!

We fixed pancakes for supper tonight and I had another one of my "baths." Makes me feel like I am living in the old west. It's very pleasant in an old world kind of way. And maybe I'll see my grizzly tonight. We can always hope!

Glad that some of you know what Ents are.

Yours on the Long and Winding Road,
Mary

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Mary & Cal,
I just got caught up to date on your travels...how's Cal feeling? Does he have more than one bicycle with him, or multiple wheels? How are the roads? We've had very pleasant weather last weekend low 60's at night and mid 70's during the day. However, today it reached the low 80's and we could use a little rain. I sent in my donation to Pine Rest with Pella Corp to match also. Prayer for you two:

At any time of the day or night we can call on Jesus.
He is always waiting, listening for our call.
What a wonderful blessing.
No phone needed, no e-mails, just a whisper.

God Speed from your Bible buddy,
Fermin Falcon

Anonymous said...

As for the grizzly sighting I hope not to close quarters. From a distance would be the way to go as far as I am concerned. Love Norma

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday, Mary!

Anonymous said...

I echo that--Happy birthday! How are you going to celebrate? Bacon and beans by the campfire? Quiet time by a stream/waterfall? A hotel with a shower and/or hot tub? Singing happy birthday with 100's of your camping neighbors? So many possibilities! What ever you do , hope you have a great time! By the way, are you celebrating the 4th of July? If Cal plans on draping a flag around him as he rides or something of the sort, please submit a photo:)!

Love and prayers,
Kristin

P.S.-just so you know, you motivated me to "blog" for the first time ever (this is it) :)!