Tweets by @morningblend56 According to Mary: The Mighty 80

Thursday, June 12, 2008

The Mighty 80

We left Pella in a morning downpour and watched the flood water lapping at highway 80 as we said goodbye to Des Moines. I heard they were closing 80 tomorrow east of Des Moines. I am not at all surprised. I have been following the weather in Iowa all day. Unbelievable. More of the same! Lord, have mercy! As I write this we are watching the sunset on the western side of Nebraska and the air is dry and 50 degrees and falling rapidly. Fresh and clean. Big big sky country. The sun takes forever to set. I'd forgotten...

We have a laptop with a wireless internet donated by Matt Smith from Altel. WoW! It connects to what used to be the van cigarette lighter and runs off a power converter so I can check up on all of you while Cal is driving. (I did my share of driving today, too.)

All my list making abilities served me very well. Packing was a snap. I shall feel very organized for a day or two until my disorganized nature overtakes me once more. But by that time, it won't matter. We made it!

We said more goodbyes this morning. Our son, Jeff, told us we are crazy. It nice to be able to do something once in a while that your CHILDREN can call crazy.

The camper pulls like a dream. Good gas mileage too.
Today our job is to drive. It's hard to remember that's it's part of a much bigger picture.

We will drive until we are tired and then pull off somewhere and sleep. It's nice to be on the road and this far along. We just crossed into Wyoming.

Good night All.

Ps. The message on my Styrofoam cup of coffee that I bought in Kearney, Nebraska said. "You are nowhere." I quite agree but I wouldn't advertise it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mary, Kearney, Nebraska is NOT nowhere it is the beginning of the universe, south-west-north of there you can see unlimited sky and stars at night. david

Anonymous said...

Heeyy!!That area of the country is where Cal' brother's wife, your sister-in-law was born and raised. That is not nowhere that is somewhere. And somewhere pretty important. Love Norma

Mary Meuzelaar said...

Just checking to see if you were paying attention! Some of us like being from nowhere. Besides, you're from Kansas and I love Kansas. (see conciliatory photo)
Love
Mary