Tweets by @morningblend56 According to Mary: A Long Day in Montana

Saturday, June 28, 2008

A Long Day in Montana

It's hard to keep track of the days but I just heard the bells ring for Saturday night mass here in Dillon, Montana. It was a long day for both Cal and me. The snow capped mountains are beautiful but distant and there are long Montana stretches that seem to take forever - even in the van. This is ranch and cattle and mosquito country. We are pushing to get to Yellowstone.



Yesterday we camped in a lovely little USFS campground again right by a mountain stream that roared. Cal likes his white noise but this one was a little much. It was part of Montana that was burned in the 2000 forest fires. The trunks of the some of the huge ponderosa pines were charred but unhurt. They are mighty trees. I told Cal we were camping among the Ents. If you don't know who the Ents are, I'm sorry, I can't help you. Either you like the Lord of the Rings or you don't.



I had been driving though mountain passes that at one time would have terrified me. Now I enjoy it! The only other thing I have to say is that men don't like to see a women hitch up by herself. There is always an old gentleman will a big rig camper who stands around to watch and give advice and a little WD-40 when I need it.



Is it still raining in Iowa?
Love,
Mary

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hello Mary and Cal,
the rain has stopped. The sweet corn is still growing, and i am all ready tired. It will be my
40th b-day on July 8. i want to see mountains, but we leave for Montana on July 24, i can't wait.
i just got back from my walk at
11:30pm instead of 5:30 am. my walking time is all messed up. have a great day, love Kristi

Anonymous said...

Mary,
Yes, I can picture the "Ents" and I know very well what they are since I have watched all of the Lord of the Rings and then over again! They must be some awesome trees.
Lana

Mary Meuzelaar said...

Happy Birthday Kristi!
Glad you know about Ents, Lana.
Mary