Tweets by @morningblend56 According to Mary: A Christmas Rosary

Thursday, October 30, 2014

A Christmas Rosary


A Christmas Rosary
  
Hail thou, Bearer of the Light;
God and man in thee unite!
Thy anguish and thy delight
beat in thy womb.

Hark! the cry that splits the night-
Startled angels rush to flight,
wings aflame, a star ignite
to lead the way.

Hush now, Bearer of the Light;
Rest now in thy holy plight.
Slumber blessed in Heaven's might;
Thy God with thee.



Sometimes I play a word game that limits how many syllables I can use in a line and the rhyme pattern.  It it dictates every word I choose and even the meaning of the verse. (Although I usually start with a first line about something that strikes my fancy.)  It is a poem that writes itself - it feels more like working a crossword puzzle than writing a poem. Sometimes I fall asleep trying out different combination of words and counting syllables.  It's a pleasant way to go to sleep at night. And I know when it's done because it has obeyed the rules and makes sense.  At least to me.  Just like when you know you have finished a crossword puzzle there is a sense of satisfaction.  I picture a King James kind of Gabriel giving color commentary to Mary as Christmas unfolds.

Lighting the Hebrew Shabbat candles is historically associated with women.  The lighting of the candles not only bring light to the Sabboth darkness, but reflects, in radiance, the woman's face as she ushers peace and light to her home and to the world.

The Rules were:
  •  Pattern AAAB AAAC AAAD.
  •  Rhyming lines must have 7 syllables
  •  Non rhyming lines must have 4 syllables 





No comments: