Tweets by @morningblend56 According to Mary: Cowboys Drink Espresso - or Leaving Hell

Sunday, June 22, 2008

Cowboys Drink Espresso - or Leaving Hell

For those of you who just like the facts, ma'am, we are in New Meadows, Idaho after giving a glad farewell to Hell's Canyon. It is an stunning area but I couldn't help but put myself in the spiritual geography of the place. I found those giant bare hills more intimidating than any of the mountains that we have crossed so far. I hope I have a picture that shows it but I doubt that I do. Hell is something you have to experience. :).

All the little towns pop. 500 and less have espresso shops. I have given up my morning coffee because it takes too much time in the morning and just wait until the first tiny town. And there is a line up of cowboys hats waiting for their morning caffeine.

Phil wanted to know what my day is like. I actually haven't had much spare time so far...my mornings start at about 7:00 when I kiss Cal goodbye and then snuggle in bed for another 1/2 an hour or so. Then I pack up the camper and get myself ready for the day and hitch up the camper to the van. That always takes longer than I want....those hitches...I have learned to pray myself through the process and some little tricks to get that ball in just right! Do chores...like get water, gas, groceries and ice and then I drive down the road to find Cal and check out his condition and make plans for the next part of the ride. Sometimes I go right on to the end of the route and find a place to set up camp. Then I set up the camper and have an hour or two free time until Cal comes down the road. Dinner, cleaning up ourselves and the camper and getting ready for the morning take the rest of the evening. Cal goes to sleep early. We have not had electricity or Internet or cell phones much of this first part of our ride so we sneak writing blogs in whenever we can. In my spare time, I am reading the journals of one of the members of the Lewis and Clark's team (very appropriate) and I did get a chance to play my recorder one day and work a sudoku. There is always photography but it is very hard to edit my pictures on the laptop. I am enjoying my experience but it was a lot easier on paper.

Right now I am in a tiny city park, waiting for Cal to come any minute and much to my surprise I have Internet service!!!!

Maybe Idaho might be a little more Internet user friendly than western Oregon. I hope so! I want to learn more about the Oregon Trail.
Love,
Mary

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hello Mary, i am missing you everyday. i look forward to reading your next adventure. My grandma is now in Heaven where she has longed to be. i am so over joyed for her. My family asked me to write the eulogy and read it at her funeral, i felt very honored. i have not been working at the store much, i keep finding more and more things to keep me busy here at home. i have still been painting and planting flowers, mentoring my friend from teen challenge and spending time with my family and extra quiet time with Jesus!!!
i also found out that my aunt Darlene went to Pine rest in Michigan when she was little, over 50 years ago. i praise God for what you and Cal are doing, you are an inspiration to all!!!
talk to you soon. i wish i could help you hook up the camper, we would have soooo much fun laughing together.
xoxoxoxoxoxoxxxxxxxx Kristi Kay

Anonymous said...

Hi Mary!!! I tried to blog earlier, but it didn't work, so I'll keep this short so I can try and send it. You and Cal are in my prayers! Love you lots, Terri
and miss you!!!!!

Mary Meuzelaar said...

Glad you figured it out, Terri!
Kris - Sorry to hear about your Grandmother. Yeah...I could use a little muscle...
Love,
Mary